Become a Kids Yoga Teacher
Navigating your way through all the types of Kids Yoga Teacher Training can be confusing and Young Yoga Masters is here to help you get the right training to feel confident, successful, and have fun as you teach Yoga and Mindfulness to children. We offer self-study online training (info here) and in-person training through our Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School.
Are you ready to get your Kids Yoga Teacher Certificate?
You are in the right place if you want:
- In-Person Training: giving you the information you need to know exactly how to teach kids Yoga and Mindfulness. You’ll know how to start the class, finish the class, and everything in between. We hold nothing back!
- Experience: You’ll get experience during the training observing and teaching actual children in our yoga class practicum. You’ll feel more confident to teach after the training because you taught kids in the training. That confidence will help you achieve your teaching goals.
- Resources: You get our absolute favourite resources included in your registration for each module. You’ll be ready to teach right away!
- Comprehensive Manuals and Printables: You’ll receive a hard copy of our comprehensive manuals to use when you teach your classes or refer to for games, songs, and insights into teaching. You’ll also get PDF’s of the activity pages to print out for the kids you teach.
- Certificate of Completion: You’re awarded a Certificate for each course you complete that also counts towards your 95 Hour Certificate from our Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School.
- Ongoing support and mentoring before and after: Email or call and talk to a trainer about questions you have before or after you graduate or check out our Frequently Asked Questions page. Not sure what kind of Kids Yoga Training you need? Read the Young Yoga Masters Guide to Kids Yoga Teacher Training at the end of the page. Jump to The Guide to Children’s Yoga Teacher Training. Want to stay connected with your fellow kids yoga teachers from your training and your trainer? Upon completion, you can join our exclusive Facebook Group.
If its time for you to achieve your goals of teaching Yoga and Mindfulness to children in the classroom, living room, or as a part-time or full-time career, Young Yoga Masters can give you the skill and Certification you need.
The In-Person Children’s Yoga Teacher Training is for:
- School Teachers, Supply Teachers, and Principals
- Early Childhood Educators, Teaching Assistants, and Managers
- Yoga Teachers
- Parents, Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents
- Youth Leaders and Community Leaders
- Doctors, Pediatricians, and Health Promoters
- all those who care for children’s physical and emotional health and well-being
Choose Young Yoga Masters to mentor and support you on your path to teaching kids yoga.
Young Yoga Masters
Kids Yoga Teacher Certificates
Young Yoga Masters, a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School, offers a flexible training where you receive a Certificate for each training module you complete. You can take any training module in any order except for the Level 2 Mastermind Module (Level 2 can be taken after 3 modules or more are completed). You can also take Modules at any location (for example combine weekend modules in Toronto with the modules in the Burlington Summer Immersion).
Each Certificate covers important aspects of teaching yoga to children to prepare you to be a confident teacher. You’ll discover effective ways to teach yoga to children (ages 2-15 years):
- Mindfulness for Children – 16 Hour Kids Yoga Teacher Certificate: Enhance children’s health with Mindfulness activities, movement, and the tremendously popular Meditations for Growing Minds resources. In this module you will connect to the practice of Mindfulness and learn to bring Mindfulness to Children.
- Yoga Literacy – 16 Hour Kids Yoga Teacher Certificate: Take an in-depth look at how to teach yoga poses to children using the Frog Yoga Alphabet Resource Kit included in your registration which includes Yoga Cards, Stickers, Posters, Colour Book, Colouring Pages, Activity Sheets and Games. You’ll enhance your confidence and make poses fun and safe. Includes partner yoga, modifications for all ages, as well as 22 innovative and original alphabet and storytelling activities that promote kinesthetic learning, learning through physical activity. Great resource for schools, yoga birthday parties, and more.
- Themes and Dreams – 16 Hour Kids Yoga Teacher Certificate: The original Certificate that started it all. The Themes and Dreams Certificate explains Yoga Philosophy and awakens the imagination – no matter what your age. This Certificate includes tested lesson plans that children love. The Kids Yoga Class Creator gives you an intuitive lesson plan template to dream up your own class plans and keep them organized. This Certificate is highly recommended for those wanting mindfulness activities, songs and engaging stories that empower kids with self-esteem, inner peace, and happiness.
- Inclusive Yoga – 16 Hour Kids Yoga Teacher Certificate: Accommodate children with a variety of needs in your classes! All children come with a unique set of needs. This Certificate contains insight and effective tools to bring yoga to all children, especially kids that are not always motivated by typical kids yoga techniques. Includes Yoga Man vs The Stressor Teacher Training Manual and Resources, yoga colouring pages, games, and activities that help kids identify stress and reduce it. A great resource for teachers and parents of kids with different needs and for helping boys see that yoga is not just for girls!
- Chakras for Children, Family Yoga, Yoga and Mindfulness for Kids (16 Hour Kids Yoga Teacher Certificate):
- Yoga and Mindfulness for Kids (5 – 12 Years) (8 Hour) Discover the fun of teaching Kids Yoga in this dynamic, playful, and comprehensive workshop. This workshop is packed with engaging stories, songs, art, games, tips and tricks for teaching yoga and mindfulness to school-age kids. An excellent workshop as an introduction or a refresher for your kids yoga toolkit. Includes a pack of Yoga Stickers and Colouring Sheets.
- Family Yoga (4 Hour): Teach yoga to families using ready-to-teach lesson plans for Mommy and Me Yoga and Family Yoga that build strong family bonds. This module shows you how to create positive experiences in yoga class that encourage children to connect with parents and parents to connect with kids.
- Chakras for Children (4 Hour): Teach school-age children to build on their innate talents while exploring the Chakras as tools for Social and Emotional Learning. Come explore the Chakras and how to teach them to children using the Young Yoga Masters Chakra activity book and handouts.
- Level 2 Mastermind:Curriculum Design and Business Planning – 16 Hour Kids Yoga Teacher Certificate: this module is (usually) the final step of the 95 Hour Certification. Using the extensive material from the other Young Yoga Masters Certificates, you will study teaching methodology to design successful children’s yoga curricula including yoga series’ and Yoga Camps. Your lead trainer will provide personal guidance and feedback for you to develop your plan to start teaching, and participants will help one another with ideas and feedback. You also begin your action plan for finding new classes. Examine effective advertising, networking, and marketing strategies. Participants must have completed a minimum of 48 Hours of other Young Yoga Masters training to take this Level 2 training.
Level 1 Modules (total 80 Contact Hours of Training): Yoga Literacy Certificate (16 Hours), Yoga and Mindfulness for Kids (8 Hours), Chakras for Children Certificate (4 Hours), Family Yoga Certificate (4 Hours), Themes and Dreams Certificate (16 Hours), Inclusive Yoga Certificate (16 Hours), Mindfulness for Children Certificate (16 Hours). These Modules may be taken in any order.
Level 2 Module: Business and Curriculum Mastermind Certificate (16 Hours) This is the only Level 2 Module. You must have completed at least 48 Hours of Level 1 Training to participate in the Mastermind course.
Level 1 Certificates (80 Hours) + Level 2 Mastermind Certificate (16 Hours) = 96 Hours
upon completion of 95 Hours you Get your 95 Hour Certificate with Young Yoga Masters, a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School
See Upcoming Dates on the Registration Page
What Makes the Young Yoga Master’s Training Special?
Check for yourself and you will see that many courses will call you a kids yoga teacher even when you have NEVER actually taught a kid! That’s because it takes a lot of work to organize and provide a practicum, kids yoga classes with actual children in attendance, where you see the lead trainer teach, AND classes where you get to teach too! The 18 HOURS of practicum you complete properly fulfills the Yoga Alliance standards. That’s 18 hours of teaching kids with in-person support from your trainers, you both teach and observe what a real class is like.
Without practical experience, many “certified” teachers just don’t feel confident that they can deliver a great class because they know that adults pretending to be children is not the same as teaching actual children.
The Young Yoga Masters program gives you experience and confidence with each Certificate, so you can go out and teach even after one weekend. One graduate told us:
I have earned back more than the tuition!
After taking only one of the modules, I felt confident enough to approach schools to start teaching. I was teaching children after only one weekend of training. Eight months later, by my last module of training, I have taught over 150 kids yoga classes in daycare centres and have been paid for my teaching. I have already earned back more the tuition for the Certification.
– Z.J. Young Yoga Masters Graduate, 2013
How the In-Person Training Works:
- Bring Your Experience: It is recommended, but not required, that you have taken at least 40 adult yoga classes before you register so you have a base of knowledge of yoga. However, experience working with children, parenting, or teaching is also an asset. If you have not done many yoga classes, do as many classes as possible before the training starts.
- Get Started Teaching with Your First Certificate in Kids Yoga Teaching. Take one Certificate and you’ll explore a unique facet of teaching kids yoga. Each course gives you a Certificate for teaching kids yoga and practical experience to start teaching kids yoga right away.
- Option to Earn Your 95 Hour Certificate with a Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga School Certification* If you choose, you can continue with your professional development by earning all 6 Certificates. Together the 6 Certificates meet the 95 Hours of specialty training that Yoga Alliance requires of a Yoga Teacher to become a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher.
- Have Questions? Visit Our Frequently Asked Questions Page at this link or send us an email: info @ youngyogamasters.com
- Reserve Your Place by Registering: If this program sounds right for you, go to the Registration Page to secure your spot in the next training.
* Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT’s) who successfully complete 95 hour training with Young Yoga Masters, which is a Registered Children’s Yoga School (RCYS), may apply to Yoga Alliance for the Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCYT) designation. After completing training with a RCYS, Yoga Alliance has additional requirements that must be met. See details here.
Registration is now open for the next module of training.
To see Dates and More Information Please visit the Registration Page
Become a Kids Yoga Teacher
Inspire Children and You’ll Inspire Yourself Too!
Young Yoga Masters Guide to Children’s Yoga Teacher Training
Navigating your way to becoming a Kids Yoga Teacher can be confusing. Young Yoga Masters’ offers you this Guide to the different types and levels of Certification so you can make an informed decision when choosing a training. With 20 years experience teaching yoga, Young Yoga Masters has extensively researched the range of qualifications you can achieve.
The guide can help you choose the right training for your teaching goals and help you avoid starting from the beginning should you eventually want to get the highest level of qualifications.
Young Yoga Masters also offers a range of training options from downloadable manuals, in-person training, to Yoga Alliance Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher, even mentoring you to become a Teacher Trainer for those who qualify. Our mission is to mentor new teachers with high quality, effective, and professional training and support at all stages on the path of teaching yoga to children.
Guide to the Types of Children’s Yoga Training and Certification Levels:
Here is the Young Yoga Masters’ Guide to understanding the various levels of Children’s Yoga Teacher Training and our recommendations for who should pursue each level.
Training Type: Non-Contact Training
Non-contact training is any training that happens where you are not in the physical presence of a qualified training. You learn through manuals, online resources, training videos, online courses, or books. Even courses where you receive a Certificate, have your work reviewed, or phone-in sessions with a live trainer cannot count as contact hours because according to Yoga Alliance standards, contact hours must be in the physical presence of your trainer.
Recommended for: We recommend this level of training for those already teaching children who want fresh ideas and resources they can implement on their own. This training is also helpful if you are dipping your toe in the pool of kids’ yoga to test the waters and see if you like teaching children. It’s also good for those who don’t have in-person training near them.
Not Recommended for: We don’t recommend investing too much in non-contact training because it won’t count towards your 95 Hour Certificate. Those who make a career of teaching kids yoga have confided that they regret not getting their full certification right away. When they do decide to get it, they have to start at the beginning because all 95 Hours of training have to be taken with the same RCYS (Registered Children’s Yoga School) and an RCYS can only allow a maximum of 8 non-contact hours. If you don’t already have your 95 Hour specialty training, think long-term and aim to get the yoga industry standards for teachers.
Young Yoga Masters offers two non-contact training resources: The Frog Yoga Alphabet and Yoga Man vs. The Stressor Sun Salutation (details at this link).
Did you know? Yoga Alliance allows a maximum of 8 NON-contact hours to count in a 95 Hour training for the specialty of children’s yoga. A Registered Children’s Yoga School (RCYS) may offer between 0 – 8 hours of non-contact training, the other 87 – 95 hours must be contact hours (in the physical presence of the trainer.) Young Yoga Masters does not utilize non-contact hours in their syllabus for the 95 Hour Training (see details about why under 95 Hour below).
Training Type: In-Person Kids Yoga Training and Certificates (Contact Hours)
With in-person training you get a more thorough training which includes training categories like teaching methodology, techniques practice, anatomy for children, philosophy, and practicum (practice teaching with actual children). If you are considering an in-person training, we recommend you ask about these components we just listed, especially practicum time with children if you do not have experience working with kids. In-person training also provides more personal attention, question and answer time, and learning from an experienced trainer and the other participants.
The Young Yoga Masters In-Person training modules earn you a Certificate for the number of training hours you complete.
At the time of this writing, teaching yoga to adults or kids is not regulated by the government, so you can put your training to use right away, even after one of our courses. However there have been attempts to regulate who can teach yoga.
When it comes to teaching kids yoga we recommend teachers begin teaching as soon as possible. Teaching kids is a very different experience than teaching adults. Kids don’t always do what you want them to, in the way you think they are going to! Young Yoga Masters supports our teachers by providing classroom management skills throughout the full 95 Hour Training. So the sooner you begin teaching kids, the earlier you can apply the tips and skills provided in Young Yoga Masters training.
For each 16 Hours of Young Yoga Masters Training, three hours are practicum experience teaching actual children. Modules can be taken in any order, except the Level 2 Module. You get plenty of ideas, resources and practical experience to start teaching right away (details of the Modules are below). Each Young Yoga Masters Module also counts towards your 95 Hour Certificate, should you decide to pursue it.
Recommended for: This level of training is recommended for those who want to test out Children’s Yoga and see if they like teaching kids yoga, especially those with children in their lives.
Did you know? Yoga Alliance does not allow you to combine certificates from different training schools to reach 95 Hours of training. All hours must be with the same school to ensure all categories of training have been fulfilled. See our FAQ page for more details.
Training Type: 95 Hour Yoga Alliance Specialty in Children’s Yoga
The Yoga Alliance standard for yoga teachers to teach the specialty of children’s yoga is the completion of 95 Hours of Training with a Registered Children’s Yoga School. Each in-person Module of the Young Yoga Masters training counts towards your 95 Hour Training. When you complete all Modules, you receive your 95 Hour Certificate.
Recommended for: The 95 Hours of Children’s Yoga Training is recommended for those who see themselves specializing in teaching children (and not teaching adults) and who have a good foundation in their personal yoga practice, even though they may not be yoga teachers.
Did you know? Young Yoga Masters training has evolved over 12 years to offer you the full Yoga Alliance requirements in our in-person training without giving you homework. Since only 8 non-contact hours are allowed, this means if you miss part of a training due to unforeseen circumstances, you can be assigned homework to make it up and you don’t have to repeat the module.
Training Type: 200 Hour Yoga Alliance Adult Yoga Teacher Training
Adult Yoga teacher training is a special time for personal growth and to learn much more about the mechanics of teaching yoga poses, lesson planning, and yoga philosophy. You can get this 200 Hour Adult training through our Ambassador Yoga Teacher Training or another 200 Hour Registered Yoga School.
Recommended for: This level is recommended if you plan to teach yoga to teens or to build a career as a kids yoga teacher. It looks the best on your bio and resume because it meets the Yoga industry standards. It is also recommended for building a full-time business of teaching yoga to children. Not only does it give you the foundation you need for a professional business, it also allows you to move to the next level of becoming a trainer once you have some years of experience behind you.
Did you know? To become a Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher with Yoga Alliance you need both a 200 Hour Adult Yoga Teacher Training and a 95 Hour Children’s Yoga Teacher Training with Yoga Alliance Registered Schools (the 200 HR and 95 HR may be completed with different schools).
Training Type: Becoming a Yoga Trainer
After you have been teaching yoga to children (and adults) for a while and become an experienced yoga teacher, you will likely start to find yourself in the role of mentoring and helping new teachers. You may see that the time has come for you to move into the Trainer role and develop your own children’s, teens, or adults yoga teacher training or join an existing school as a Trainer.
Here’s were your past training will be very important and will either help or hinder your options. You will only be able to offer the level of training that you have achieved in your own experience.
That means if you have taken online training and weekend courses, you will be able to create online training and weekend courses. If you took Yoga Alliance registered training, (many regard YA as the international governing body of yoga teachers) you’ll be able to offer YA accredited training.
We have known many wonderful chidlren’s yoga teachers with years of experience, who went back to get YA training so they could become a YA training. There are no options to register with YA if you have not taken YA training.
This is the one place
Experienced Yoga Teachers can continue to grow their business and skills with our Train-the-Trainer Program. Use our manuals and lesson plans to become a Trainer and run your own profitable 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training course (details at this link).
Recommended for: This level is recommended for experienced yoga teachers who are ready for the next level of teaching by becoming a Teacher Trainer.
Did you know? At Young Yoga Masters, Aruna had taken her first 200 Hour Training with a YA Registered Yoga School in 1998, however she did not register with Yoga Alliance until 2012. It wasn’t until the Children’s Yoga Teacher designation was created, and STUDENTS BEGAN ASKING for a YA registered children’s training, that we signed up with Yoga Alliance. She uploaded our Training Certificates, and created our school syllabus for our 95 Hour Training. Now we have a Registered 95 Hour Children’s Yoga School and a 200 Hour Adult Yoga School called Ambassador Yoga. When the 95 Hour Children’s Yoga designation was created Aruna was able to “grandfather” in as a Children’s Yoga Teacher and Registered Young Yoga Masters in 2012.
Many Master Yogis say the yoga teacher’s job is not to gather students but to build the next generation of teachers. This is a principle we hold dear at Young Yoga Masters. We encourage and support our graduates to become ten times more powerful than us because we see your success as the future of yoga!
Registration is now open for the next module of training.
To see Dates and More Information Please visit the Registration Page